Welcome

I go to school in Portsmouth, NH at The Robert J. Lister Academy, I have a mission to go to Costa Rica! The reason for this mission is first of all I decided to take a class all about Costa Rica and believe me it's no walk in the park on a sunny day. I have to fund raise $1800.00 for myself. I am currently studying tourism for when I get to Costa Rica. Everything about Costa Rica is so amazing to me, I love animals, nature, adventure, and the travel. For myself this trip is a once in a life time chance. The reason the trip is a once in a life time chance for me is because I don't come from a wealthy family at all so it really cuts what I get to do.

This trip could even be life changing to myself as well as others in my class. I have always loved the outdoors and animals so its amazing that I get to do something like this and pursue my dreams. Before this year i have always been a slacker in school, this year really changed me and my teachers really showed me to be mature and do what I want to do. I really want to have more knowledge on the Costa Rican culture, lifestyle, and just live the life of the Costa Rican for 10 days. As of right now we have already started to fund raise by having a car wash, gardening at our school, held a booth at the Stratham fair (and met Gov. John Lynch), we raffled a laptop. If you would like to donate to our class, or to myself please contact my email. mshattuck.student@gmail.com
or you can contact my teach Bryan Mascio at
bmascio@portsmouth.k12.nh.us

Thank You so much for taking the time to read my blog. Come back soon!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Chapter 4

There is a main point in chapter 4, about how the community built the Monteverde Friends School in the year 1957. Because the Quakers needed a place to educate their children, they founded the Monteverde Friends School soon after their arrival and it has operated ever since. The first settlers wrote, “We believe we should try to create an atmosphere for our children in which real values, as we see them are given first place. As part of this, a school is maintained in which we try to help our children grow strong spiritually and mentally.”


The way the community helps remind me how our class also needs help by our community on our mission. it was great to have the news paper highlight our story to the community. Our teacher Kristi has already gotten many phone calls and e-mails from people who want to help us on our journey. Over the next few weeks we will be looking at ways to raise the money we need, one of which is equal exchange.








There was a really cool connection from the book to myself on page 39 where Lucky and Wolf were making a water repellent for their tent. They were doing this because they lived in a tent with their kids and it was leaking. The next day they were trying to put the water repellent on the tent when the tent caught fire. They tried pouring water on the fire but instead it made the flame bigger. They lost nearly everything they owned. Lucky had to take pieces of towels and blankets and sewed them together to make them bigger. About a year ago I was camping with friends, when a hot ember came out of the camp fire and flew into the tent. The tent caught on fire along with my blankets a radio and some person belongings. we tried to put out the fire but nothing really worked. So just like Lucky and Wolf my friends and I lost our belongings as well.

1 comment:

  1. And like Lucky and Wolf who survived then thrived from the fire, so do you with this amazing opportunity ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete